Wat Sala Loi, Korat's architectural pride

Wat Sala Loi is northeast of the old town, 500 meters from Rop Mueang Road. Lady Mo and her husband built the temple in 1827. Its highlight is the convocation hall that was awarded the prize as the best avantgarde religious building by the Siam Architects Society in 1973. The hall is in an applied Thai style in the shape of a junk riding the waves. Local Dan Kwian clay tiles were used to decorate the building telling the life of Lord Buddha. The door is made of metal with raised designs of the Buddhist tale. The hall houses a large standing white Buddha image. In front of the door is a plaster sculpture of Lady Mo sitting praying in the middle of a pond. Besides the building is a small pagoda that formerly housed the ashes of Lady Mo. A glass wall in heart-shaped temple boundary markers surrounds the hall. 
More pics   GE placemark